This Law (as amended in 2011) regulates the terms and conditions for:
1) The prospecting for and the exploration and extraction of mineral resources within the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria, the continental shelf and the exclusive economic zone in the Black Sea.
2) The protection of the earth recesses and the reasonable use of the mineral resources within the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria, the continental shelf and the exclusive economic zone in the Black Sea. The document consists of III Parts comprehending 97 Articles.
The competent authorities in the implementation of LUR are the Council of Ministers, the Minister of Environment and Water, the Minister of Economy and Energy, the Minister of Regional Development and Public Works. Mineral resources are divided into 7 groups. The Council of Ministers grants mining rights – concessions. The terms of the concessions are set up by the Ministry of Economy, if the object of the extraction is in the field of metal, nonmetal, oil and gas or solid fuel and by the Ministry of Regional Development and Public Works if the object of the extraction is in the field of construction and rockling materials. The Law ensures the implementation of the competitive principle in the provision of rights for prospecting and/or researching. Candidates for these rights could be a local or foreign natural or legal person who is registered as a trader in accordance with the legislation of the lace of business of the trader.
Value chain relevance
- EXPLORATION (incl. permitting)
- EXTRACTION (incl. Permitting)
- MINE CLOSURE / WASTE management (incl. Permitting)
- DEEP SEA MINING