Policy Laboratory 4
The 4th Policy Laboratory Workshop, entitled “Innovations and Supporting Policies for Waste Management and Mine Closure”, took place in Athens, Greece on 21-22 September 2017.
The 4th MIN-GUIDE Policy Laboratory Workshop aimed to provide an overview of, and reflect upon, innovation examples in Waste Management and Mine Closure, including tailings management, waste water management and how they are linked to policy in the EU Member States.
The Policy Laboratory format, designed by the MIN-GUIDE partners, engages participants from policy, industry, Geological Surveys, and research in an intensive and interactive exchange, which allows the participants to learn, hands-on, from good practice cases, to explore transferability in different contexts, and to reflect upon future policy needs.
Finally, the outcome of the 4th Policy Laboratory will contribute to the further development of the Online Minerals Policy Guide.
- Lavrion Technological and Cultural Park(LTCP), A historical journey, Asimakis Chadoumelis, Director of LTCP
- MIN-GUIDE project overview and objectives of the Policy Laboratory, Andreas Endl, Institute for Managing Sustainability, Vienna University of Economics and Business
- The EU Raw Materials and Minerals Policy Framework. Policy Strategies; Regulatory frameworks, and Links to other Sectorial Policies
- Main innovation challenges and drivers in Waste Management and Mine Closure & link to policy framework, Katerina Adam, Assoc. Professor, NTUA
- Results of the MIN-GUIDE stock-taking on innovation in waste management and mine closure-Enabling policies and good practice, Antonis Politis, Project Manager, NTUA
- Good practice cases on innovation for waste management and mine closure-Content of the 3 Policy Laboratories, Maria Taxiarchou, Assistant Professor, NTUA
- Presentation of the MIN-GUIDE Online Policy Guide, Policy stock-taking repository and innovation cases, Veronica Cerna, GOPA Com.
- Sea Tailings Disposal, Sverre A. Hoestmark, Fed. of Norwegian Industries, Norway
- Rehabilitation of Thoricos Bay in Lavrion, N.Papasiopi, NTUA, Greece
- Treatment & Recovery of Wastewater Originating from Magnesite Ore Washing Facilities, Jason Tsilogeorgis Environmental Engineer GRECIAN MAGNESITE S.A., Greece
- Passive treatment of acidic waters in an old mine in northern Greece, A.Kourtis, NTUA, Greece
- 101 Things to do with a Hole in the Ground, Eden Project- a case study, Dan Ryan, Eden Project, UK
- Rehabilitation of old mine waste sites-The case of Lavrion Technological; Cultural Park, A. Benardos, NTUA, Greece
- Vineyards in the service of Waste Management and Mine Closure, George Petrakis, Imerys S.A., Greece
- Rehabilitation of Mining in Portugal, Paula Dinis, DGEG, Portugal
- Closure and Ongoing maintenance of Lignite mine in Austria, Markus Troger, GKB Bergbau, Austria